Roast leg of lamb with hasselback potatoes
May 03, 2018
For the anchovy crust
25g (1oz) anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained
1 x 31g bunch flat-leaf parsley
1 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
For the lamb
2kg (4lb) leg of lamb
1kg (2lb) white potatoes
1 head of garlic, halved
1/2 x 31g pack fresh rosemary
3 tbsp olive oil
1 lemon, long strips of zest removed with a vegetable peeler
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200, fan 180. Begin by preparing your paste. Empty all the crust ingredients into a food processor and whizz to a coarse paste.
- Place the leg of lamb in a large roasting dish and spoon over the paste. Using the back of the spoon, gently smooth it over the lamb.
- Cut the potatoes in 2mm slices widthways, two thirds of the way through – don’t cut through to the bottom. Nestle the potatoes around the lamb. Add the halved garlic bulb and rosemary stems. Scatter over the lemon zest.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the lamb and potatoes. Season well. Roast for about 1 hour 15 minutes. Check the lamb after an hour and if the crust is becoming too dark, loosely cover the roasting tray with foil and return to the oven.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Carve the lamb and serve alongside the potatoes.
Recipe Source: Tesco Real Food